RE: What is the best way to handle "too many open files" errors?

Hi,

Just to throw a slight spanner in the works here. My understanding of
'open files' is open file descriptors. As far as a file descriptor is
concerned there is no real difference between a physical file on disk
and a socket (network connection). So eliminating physical files, whilst
it might get you a little more headroom, is unlikely to solve the
problem.

I would look at the Apache configuration to see how many connections
your server is configured to handle and compare that to the max files
value from ulimit. I suspect that this is your issue.

Remember that as you add connectivity to databases that this will
increase the number of sockets, and therefore open files, used for each
page served.

Mick