Re: What is the best way to handle "too many open files" errors?

Igor Cicimov wrote:

> Have you considered increasing the open files limit? Have a look at the
> ulimit command. The default is sometimes not enough.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Igor

Thx for your time and attention.

I have considered fiddling with the open files liimits, but frankly before I
go too crazy I'd like to get a better idea of what sort of performance
changes I can expect or tradeoffs it might entails. And, honestly, just how
the whole thing is supposed to work.

First off, I'd really like to know why I'm getting so many lsof entries for
httpd. Is that something that's normal -- and a typical symptom of of high
traffic -- or could it be the result of some bad configuration settings or
application programming that I need to repair?

Also, I'm told that there can be "hard" and "soft" limits between the number
of open files the OS is set to handle and what the database or other
software is set to handle. Do you happen to know how I can sort all of that
out? From the errors messages, I suspect the limits being breached as the
"hard" limits of the operating system, would you agree?

And, let's say I double or triple the current limits, is that going to be
enough? Too much? I'm curious what how far I can reasonable push that before
I can expect other problems with my hardware.

If there's some documentation somewhere on this I can read, I'd be so very
pleased. I'm happy to randomly fiddle with the settings and see what
happens, but I'm really hoping for something more authoritative so I can
learn what's actually going on under the hood and make the wisest possible
choice.

Ben.