Re: What is the best way to handle "too many open files" errors?

Ben Welsh wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts Andre. As I recollect, I think some of the these
errors started cropping up around the time I compiled the python module
numpy on the server. And I think that fortran and a lot of those deadweight
file objects are its children. Perhaps if I scaled by the server to no
longer use that python module, it might reduce the problems.

Are there other modules that look unnecessary to you?

I could not say that. Only you really know which modules you load with the LoadModule directives, and which ones you really need for your configuration and applications.

Taking into account that libraries (stuff like the /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3.3 for instance) are sometimes loaded very indirectly (by another library loaded by another library loaded by some innocent-looking module for example), I would nevertheless wonder why for example /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3.3 is being loaded at all, unless one of your areas is protected by kerberos authentication. The same for ldap, the same for jpeg libs, and so on. But is is quite possible that this is really needed by some module in some application. I would say : look at each of your LoadModule directives, and at that module's description here :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/
(in "Other modules")
and ask yourself if you really need this.
If you think not, comment out that LoadModule, restart your server and check if anything breaks.

Another thing : it looks from your lsof list, that you are using the Apache "prefork" model. I don't remember precisely your configuration or the kind of load or processes you are running, but you might try the "worker" (threaded) model instead. I am not entirely sure, but I believe that this will also reduce the total number of files opened on your system, as threads may share a lot more in that respect, than individual child processes do.

But I would wait a few hours for a real expert to comment, which I'm sure one will do if I wrote something really stupid above.