Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Adding a alsa mixer interface to ibm-acpi

At Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:38:06 -0300,
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, Tobin Davis wrote:
> > Another question comes to mind.  Why would the volume need to be
> > controlled if there is no sound driver to generate sound?  I'm trying
> > to understand the usage model here for that aspect.
>
> Because the firmware will happly beep away, and you may want to control the
> volume of those beeps.  And it also controls the volume of the PC buzzer
> (the BIOS makes sure whatever sound hardware is in the machine lets that one
> through by default).

OTOH, from the usability POV, it's really annoying to have two
individual "devices" for the very same output.  That's why I'm in
favor of either built-in-sound-driver or add-on style.

And, if you'll ALSA API for controlling volumes, it assumes that any
sound system is running.   So, it appears logical to me that the
beep-control driver also belongs to a sound driver.

Anyway, if you'd like a stand-alone implementation, we can introduce a
Kconfig, too.  But, note that one merit to use the add-on style
(referring to the exported symbol of snd-intel8x0 driver) is that this
dependency will resolve the module loading order, too.

Takashi