Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Adding a alsa mixer interface to ibm-acpi

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
> thinkpad's real sound card.  Otherwise sound applications will have no
> idea that this separate mixer-only sound card has anything to do with
> the main speaker output (as compared to the Skype headset I have
> plugged into the USB port).

True.  That's the downside.   The upside is that we don't need to create a
new API to allow the piggy-back.  After all, the real soundcard module could
get loaded *after* ibm-acpi... or it could be removed before ibm-acpi.  The
"piggy-back mixer control" would need an API with full hotplug semanthics.

> I suppose it does mean you can use alsamixer to manipulate the sound,
> but from the user's point of view, if it's not visible when they right
> clock on the mixer applet (because it's not associated with the
> laptop's primary sound card), is it really that useful?

If they got a mixer applet worth something, it will list two cards, or allow
them to have two instances, one for each card.

  Henrique Holschuh