Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Adding a alsa mixer interface to ibm-acpi

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > If they got a mixer applet worth something, it will list two cards, or allow
> > > them to have two instances, one for each card.
> >
> > I guess it's rather confusing.  Both controls the very same device for
> > the very same role in the end, so it'd be better to be merged in some
> > level, IMO.
>
> The ibm-acpi mixer also affects the BIOS-generated sounds (e.g.,
> low-battery warnings) and PC speaker. So it useful even when the sound
> card is unused or unsupported.

True.  Here's the (probable) audio routing on a ThinkPad:

[embedded sound card/codec] -> [thinkpad hardware mixer] -> output
[thinkpad firmware beep generator]   ----^

The thinkpad firmware can generate a bunch of beeps that appear to not be
really related to the std. PC buzzer :-)  and these beeps are used to signal
firmware events.  I don't think they are routed through the AC97 or HDA
codec.

Note that it is possible that the normal PC buzzer IS routed through the
codec.

One of the things I don't know is exactly what is generating the firmware
beeps on modern thinkpads: BIOS, or EC.  The volume control is done by the
EC on a modern thinkpad, though.

So I'd have to provide a stand-alone "placeholder" card to hook the mixer to
if no real sound-card driver is loaded?  urk.  It is doable, of course,
but... ick.  The question is now, what should I do when doing a mixer
piggy-back?  De-register the mixer-only audio card, or keep it around (and
this give the user two cards)?

  Henrique Holschuh