Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] Adding a alsa mixer interface to ibm-acpi

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Mar 2007, Tobin Davis wrote:
> > > Another question comes to mind.  Why would the volume need to be
> > > controlled if there is no sound driver to generate sound?  I'm trying
> > > to understand the usage model here for that aspect.
> >
> > Because the firmware will happly beep away, and you may want to control the
> > volume of those beeps.  And it also controls the volume of the PC buzzer
> > (the BIOS makes sure whatever sound hardware is in the machine lets that one
> > through by default).
>
> OTOH, from the usability POV, it's really annoying to have two
> individual "devices" for the very same output.  That's why I'm in
> favor of either built-in-sound-driver or add-on style.

Well, I have five choices:

1. No Linux support to change the thinkpad mixer at all unless the soundcard
drivers are loaded;

2. ThinkPad mixer support always available as a separate, mixer-only card;

3. ThinkPad mixer support available as a separate mixer-only card AND in the
real soundcard driver;

4. ThinkPad mixer support available as a separate mixer-only card while the
real soundcard driver is not loaded, and *only* in the real soundcard driver
after it is loaded;

5. ThinkPad mixer support available in the real soundcard driver, and as a
bunch of non-generic attributes on sysfs.

> And, if you'll ALSA API for controlling volumes, it assumes that any
> sound system is running.   So, it appears logical to me that the

It seems to work just fine with the soundsystem running with a card that
only has a single monoaural volume control, and nothing else.

> beep-control driver also belongs to a sound driver.

Does ALSA have an interface that is sane for a hardware/firmware synthesizer
with a fixed set of tones?  The MIDI sequencer doesn't count, it is unusable
for scripts.  Otherwise, I will keep the non-generic ibm-acpi interface (a
sysfs attribute where you write the ID of the pattern you want it to beep).

> Anyway, if you'd like a stand-alone implementation, we can introduce a
> Kconfig, too.  But, note that one merit to use the add-on style
> (referring to the exported symbol of snd-intel8x0 driver) is that this
> dependency will resolve the module loading order, too.

We still need to handle hotplug anyway, as modules can be removed and
readded.

  Henrique Holschuh