[Yum] Yum ends prematurely in first run, succeeds in second run

> The output from yum enden in the following lines:
>   nulist = 886
>   uplist = 6
>   newlist = 880
>   obsoleting = 0
>   obsoleted = 0
>   Updating fam
>   Updating ppp
>   Updating fam-devel
>   Updating initscripts
>   Updating ethereal
>   Updating ethereal-gnome
>   Resolving dependencies
>   Updating: initscripts, i386
>   Not an install only pkg, adding to ts
>
> What means the final message?

all that means is that initscripts is not a package that has been marked
to be 'installed only'. Kernels and kernel-modules are install-only.
This means that new versions will be installed but the old versions will
NOT be removed. initscripts is NOT install only, when its newer version
is installed, the older versions will be removed (the normal function of
an update)

> Why does yum stop prematurely in the first run succeed in the second?

I'm betting the repository may have changed state b/t the first and
second run.

> When I issue the command the second time, the first line of output is
>
>   Unable to find pid

It means that the last time you ran yum it ended without being able to
clear it's lockfile. Yum then looks at the lockfile, checks to see if
the Process ID listed in that file is still existent, if not then it
overrides the lockfile and continues.

> This message also appear if I interrupt (^C) a hung yum, and I repeat
> the command. I suspect that there is a connection, indicating that the
> first run terminated without running some cleanup code.

exactly.

-sv