[Yum] Yum does not work in -C mode?

perhaps i am doing something wrong, but using yum that comes with fc2, i
have a problem. this problem may be related to poor error messages, i am
not sure.

i have a desktop with full fc2 install and high bandwidth ISP. i run yum
update on that box, and all is well.

now, i take the var/cache/yum dir and copy it to cd, because i have an
army of poorly connected small-disk machines that i need to update
manually. these machines only have partial installs of fc2. when i copy
the contents of the cd to the hd of the small machine, and do a `yum -C update`
i get two kinds of errors:

1. it says many times: cant download header ... while in cacheing mode,
removing from available packages.

this message seems strange for two reasons. a. the header is already
downloaded, why does it want to download it again? b. the packages that
say this are not installed on this system, so should `yum update` just
skip them without saying anything?

2. it then says: unable to satisfy dependencies, package fam-devel needs
libselinux-devel

i assume this last error is because this system has fam-devel installed,
there is a new version, and the new version requires libselinux-devel,
which is not installed, and not in my yum cd, because my full install
from which i made the cd did not need it.

so i wonder, the -C option says in man page that it will download headers
if it needs to. does it not do the same for the rpm's as well? if it did,
it seems that it could have gone to the repository, and gotten that one
missing package.

thanks
allan noah