[Yum] Yum ends prematurely in first run, succeeds in second run

A just ran the command
  yum -y -d 5 -e 10 update
knowing thanks to "Red Hat Network Alert Notification Tool" (rhnant)
that six updates are available:
  ethereal,    ethereal-gnome,
  fam,         fam-devel,
  initscripts, ppp.

The output from yum enden in the following lines:
  nulist = 886
  uplist = 6
  newlist = 880
  obsoleting = 0
  obsoleted = 0
  Updating fam
  Updating ppp
  Updating fam-devel
  Updating initscripts
  Updating ethereal
  Updating ethereal-gnome
  Resolving dependencies
  Updating: initscripts, i386
  Not an install only pkg, adding to ts

What means the final message?

Checking with rpm, fam and ppp had the same version as before, not the
version available according to rhnant.

I then ran the exact same command, yum -y -d 5 -e 10 update,
and this time the output appeard to reach the same point and to continue
further:

  nulist = 455
  uplist = 6
  newlist = 449
  obsoleting = 0
  obsoleted = 0
  Updating initscripts
  Updating ethereal
  Updating ppp
  Updating fam
  Updating fam-devel
  Updating ethereal-gnome
  Resolving dependencies
  Updating: initscripts, i386
  Not an install only pkg, adding to ts
  Updating: ethereal, i386
  Not an install only pkg, adding to ts
  Updating: ppp, i386
  Not an install only pkg, adding to ts
  Updating: fam, i386
  Not an install only pkg, adding to ts

A few lines further down , yum stated to download the packages in
question.

What means "Not an install only  pkg, adding to ts"?

Why does yum stop prematurely in the first run succeed in the second?

When I issue the command the second time, the first line of output is

  Unable to find pid

This message also appear if I interrupt (^C) a hung yum, and I repeat
the command. I suspect that there is a connection, indicating that the
first run terminated without running some cleanup code.

Regards, Enrique