[Yum] "include" option in yum.conf?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:48:24AM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:25:10AM -0700, Michael Stenner alleged:
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:01:34PM -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:00:42PM -0700, Garrick Staples alleged:
> Playing devil's advocate for mandatory options...

duly noted

> it would *force* people to RTFM.  The natural inclination of most
> users is to just try the most obvious solution before RTFMing.  If
> you, one of the developers, understands that the user is going to
> miss vital information and that RTFMing will avoid landing the
> bullet in his/her foot, then forcing the user here is a good thing.

I take a rather libertarian position on this one.  I want developers
to provide a good program and good documentation, but then leave me to
behave however I want.  I don't mind warnings that it will "eat your
brane" if you don't RTFM.  I _DO_ mind people attempting to adjust my
usage patterns to meet their ideals, even if their intentions are
good.

Also, in practice, you're more likely to get a lot of newbies
bitching, a lot of responders telling them (in roughly equal parts) to
RTFM or "just add this to your config file:...".

> Wider commentary... I think this point's to one of yum's wider
> problems: lack of focus.  I asked once before (a long time ago), if
> yum was a convienence tool to help out new users or if it was a
> power tool for advanced admins; the question was never answered.  I
> know what *I* use it for, I know what some other people use it for,
> and I also know how else I'd *like* to use it.  So I ask again, what
> is yum's intended audience?

My answer is.... false dilemma!  Is a shovel a tool for working in
your garden or burying your victims?  I say both.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619