[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

seth vidal wrote:
>>>not really true.
>>>yum installs kernels, always. It will never update a kernel. So you'd
>>>never be in that state with yum.
>>
>>is that documented? or I just don't read something again?
>

> I'm fairly sure it is mentioned in the docs - I could be wrong - if not
> it should be.

not in:
/usr/share/doc/yum-1.95/README
man yum
man yum.conf
man yum-arch
anyway I'm not realy like when I program would like to more clever then
me. if I'd like to install the latest kernel and run yum update kernel,
then probably I'll reboot the machine nad if I just install than use yum
install. although it a question whether you suppose to use yum in batch
mode or in an interactive mode (to replace rpm -Uvh, -Fvh, -ivh...) it
the first case you may got right, but in the second case IMHO it's
better not make any exceptions (why just kernel and what about x and y ...)

>>>ie: the modules for old kernels are still there.
>>>
>>>It'd be unsafe to do otherwise.
>>
>>why? in daemon mode you've got right, but whem I use it manually...?
>>it's the same as if you said rpm -Uvh kernel-2* would be unsafe.
>

> when you use it manually why should the behavior change - think about it
> like this - if you update the kernel and replace the old one and the new
> one breaks your system you're out of luck, but if you just install the
> new one, not updating the old one then you can always select the old one
> from grub/lilo.

but if I has 12 servers and I already try the new kernel on one and I
just would like to do the same on all of the other...
anyway in worst case I always has a boot floppy but this is again just a
matter of tast. are you also prevent from yum remove kernel?:-)
or yum remove glibc (I do it once 10 years ago:-()
IMHO consistence is more important than prepare for stupid users.

>>actualy I don't realy understand it. could you give me an example?
>

> Let's take an example:
> let's say this fictional config file says this:
> samba*:/etc/init.d/smb restart
>
> which we could take to mean - if something happens to a package matching
> 'samba*' then run the command '/etc/init.d/smb restart'
>
> ok - so then your system updates samba
>
> and that command is run.
>
> this is a simple example and clearly more things would need to be
> implemented but do you get the idea now?

not the bast example since smb restart should have to go to postinstall
script but I got the idea:-)

>>could you give me an explanation what the update and install exacly
>>means in yum? it seems to me some kind of rpm -F -U -i mix...
>

> yum install pkgs:
>  will install any pkg in the list
>  will update any pkg in the list if there is an update available
>  will exit if any pkg in the list is already installed and fully updated
>
> yum update pkgs:
>  will update all pkgs in the list
>  will NOT install a pkg that is uninstalled but in the list
>  will exit if any pkg in the list is fully updated.
>
> The above 'will exit' behaviors may change - I've not yet made up my
> mind.

aha. in this case
yum install   is equal with    rpm -U
yum update    is equal with    rpm -F
but in the case of kernel
yum install   is equal with    rpm -i
yum install   is equal with    ?
this would be useful to documnet...
but as I wrote don't handle kernel differently and curerntly there is no
way to keep to different version of package x since both yum install do
nothing in case of latest is installed yum update just install...
huum I'm getting more confused...