[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

> 	VDQ (Very Dumb Question): so the expected behavior of the user
> in that case is to try
>
> 	yum update pkg2 pkg3
>
> and then if it exits again,
>
> 	yum update pkg3
>
> and so on, for however many pkg# there are?
>
> 	If so, is there a way to automate it? Should there be?
>
> 	I can't speak for yum, but I've certainly hit situations with
> rpm -Uvh where I had to use whatever.*.rpm -- either because I had
> several installed and needed several more in optimal sequence, or just
> because I needed a whole wad of them. And it worked. Dunno if the
> comparison is relevant ....

I was trying to emulate the good parts of rpm -i and -U and fix the bad
parts.

good parts of rpm -i and rpm -U: it will do a bunch of operations, it
will install stuff sanely, it will bail if it encounters weirdness.

bad parts:

rpm -i -  will not update things that are installed.

rpm -U - will install things w/o asking you about it - so you could get
a lot more than you expect.

imo, installing things without asking in rpm -U makes it dangerous - you
could accidentally get more than you wanted.

does that help the explanation.
-sv