[Yum] Problem installing multiple rpms

> > not really true.
> > yum installs kernels, always. It will never update a kernel. So you'd
> > never be in that state with yum.
>
> is that documented? or I just don't read something again?

I'm fairly sure it is mentioned in the docs - I could be wrong - if not
it should be.

> > ie: the modules for old kernels are still there.
> >
> > It'd be unsafe to do otherwise.
>
> why? in daemon mode you've got right, but whem I use it manually...?
> it's the same as if you said rpm -Uvh kernel-2* would be unsafe.

when you use it manually why should the behavior change - think about it
like this - if you update the kernel and replace the old one and the new
one breaks your system you're out of luck, but if you just install the
new one, not updating the old one then you can always select the old one
from grub/lilo.

> ok. you are the maintaner/writer and you can "moderate" suggestions....

I don't understand what you mean.

> actualy I don't realy understand it. could you give me an example?

Let's take an example:
let's say this fictional config file says this:
samba*:/etc/init.d/smb restart

which we could take to mean - if something happens to a package matching
'samba*' then run the command '/etc/init.d/smb restart'

ok - so then your system updates samba

and that command is run.

this is a simple example and clearly more things would need to be
implemented but do you get the idea now?

> could you give me an explanation what the update and install exacly
> means in yum? it seems to me some kind of rpm -F -U -i mix...

yum install pkgs:
 will install any pkg in the list
 will update any pkg in the list if there is an update available
 will exit if any pkg in the list is already installed and fully updated

yum update pkgs:
 will update all pkgs in the list
 will NOT install a pkg that is uninstalled but in the list
 will exit if any pkg in the list is fully updated.

The above 'will exit' behaviors may change - I've not yet made up my
mind.

-sv