Re: next steps...

seth vidal (skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> I really have no idea what this tool is purported to look like or
> who/what is working on it.
>
> I thought formulas was about making it easy and simple for folks to try
> out software from fedora and to start developing using fedora.
>
> Essentially, to make it easy to try out fedora for the use case where
> we matter - as a server or a devel platform.
>
> I based my thoughts on my conversations with Kevin (who suggested
> formulas to begin with). So I don't think I'm out in left field here.
>

> If that's not what formulas is then I'll just walk away from this list
> and formulas and do the stuff I care about on my own.
>

> > (For a server-oriented GUI around this, you could consider something
> > like http://bitnami.org/stacks).
>
> was really hoping for opensourceness but <shrug>

? I'm saying that someone might want to use that as an example of a
thing you could build as OSS with Fedora & ansible once we have lots of
easy to deploy formulas. Not that we should hook into it bitnami itself;
just that that's an example of another player in the vague space.

> So to make sure I understand you - you're saying b/c bitnami exists we
> shouldn't bother working on anything like this for fedora?

No. I'm saying that at some point down the road in the future, someone
might want to take the current workflow mentioned ( 'git checkout ; $EDITOR
; ansible', as I understand it) and build a workflow that wraps those steps
(GUI, web UI, something else.)

I would suspect as long as it is possible to implement
- a way to get a list of available formulas
- a way to get a list of frobbable parameters for those formulas, if any
- a way to specify input items for those formulas (EC2 creds, or whatever)

then that's sufficient, and even the implementation/specificiation of those
might wait until there is an actual user of it.

Bill