Re: next steps...

----- Original Message -----

> Matthias: Can you elaborate on what you think we need to design into
> things for the GUI side of things? I think we can be pretty agile
> here,
> so while I understand the concern, I don't think we should wait until
> we have a detailed design document to make anything at all.

If you want formulas to be usable from a UI, there should be sufficient metadata available to display formulas in a meaningful way, and it must be available ahead of time, without downloading megabytes of data on the spot. In general, there should be no network activity unless the user explicitly asked for it.

The api needs to be non-blocking, and e.g. allow searches without taking a bit lock that blocks everything else.

Ideally, the should be a way to obtain progress information for long-lasting operations.

It would also be good to design this as a system service, with a way to authorize privileged operations, while allowing read access to everybody.