Re: next steps...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:59:22 -0400 (EDT)
Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you want formulas to be usable from a UI, there should be
> sufficient metadata available to display formulas in a meaningful
> way, and it must be available ahead of time, without downloading
> megabytes of data on the spot. In general, there should be no network
> activity unless the user explicitly asked for it.

ok.

So, this is talking about the case of the UI being a dedicated GUI app
that the end user runs. What about moving as much of that as we can to
a web backend/site interface a user interacts with via browser?

That would require network, but then the GUI app doesn't need to search
or do all those things, all it needs to be is a layer between the (text
only) ansible playbook and the user. Ie, a 'ansible-gui'.

> The api needs to be non-blocking, and e.g. allow searches without
> taking a bit lock that blocks everything else.

If it's a web interface we don't need to worry about that...

> Ideally, the should be a way to obtain progress information for
> long-lasting operations.

ok.

> It would also be good to design this as a system service, with a way
> to authorize privileged operations, while allowing read access to
> everybody.

Sure, so what do you think of:

Website:

* Search and get info about playbooks
* Rate playbooks
* Download playbooks
* Submit new playbooks
* Report bugs

Gui App:

* Shows downloaded playbooks/metadata
* Can optionally update them (git pull)
* lets user run them (If they have required system permissions)
* Asks user input optionally for any variables in the playbook
* Reports status to use of playbooks running.
* Possibly shows a log or history of formulas run.

A command line app could do the same things (or much the same thing) as
the GUI one.

In the mean time I don't see the problem with working on the playbook
level, and we can adjust the metadata required or the interface they
provide to the gui app/command line app or website backend.

Once we have some playbook/formulas in place, they can be directly
usefull for command line people, and we can start building the backend
and frontend from that?

Thoughts?

kevin