Re: Modem/Router/Router -

On 05/09/19 07:23, Ed Greshko wrote:
So, your network kinda looks like the attached.  (no switch in my diagram)

Your Viasat Modem has 2 interfaces.  The interface that connects to the Radio Equipment,
does it have an IP address?  Do you know what it is?  And the second interface connects to
the switch and is 192.168.1.1.
.
Yeah, it "kinda" looks like that in some way ...

The Viasat unit has the line that goes to the microwave equipment at the dish which I assume is something like a one GHz intermediate frequency signal modulated with the date. I have no access to that, it does have two ethernet ports they state are identical and apparently can be used interchangeably, at this moment one is connected to the ethernet switch and feeding this computer assigned the ip  192.168.1.47 by the viasat router dhcp server. If I put the viasat unit into it's bridged mode I would expect output as 182.168.1.1 but not sure of that.

However they insist that bridged mode can not be used, I think because it kills the voip interface which is integral to the viasat router/modem.

You're saying the Modem and the ASUS are connected to the Switch.  And you have other
devices connected to the switch.  Those other devices would have IP addresses of
192.168.1.X.  Yes?
.
Yes 192.168.1.X and I need all the data to pass through my router, to the switch. The router provides extensive logging information that I use as well as being the dhcp server for everything not assigned a fixed ip and static addresses for the regular users as well as being the wifi access point. I could then turn off the viasat wifi or just leave it run and not use it if I put my router between theirs and my LAN and all the users on a different subset, arbitrarily tried 192.168.0.x. That leaves the voip phone working. If I can make NAT work ...

If I were trying to get this working I would make sure the Interface of the ASUS was
something like 192.168.1.5 and I would run the ASUS in Bridge mode.
.
It's not clear to me how this could work? I have an identical ASUS router in the barn set up as a bridge and it seems useless for anything else. I know that I can't access it's browser set up function without bringing it in here and plugging a cat5 cable into it. It uses the software provide by ASUS in it's "client Bridge" mode, I tried it and it did what I needed and left it at that, it has been trouble free, effectively looks like another wired ethernet connection at this end, provides video and voice ...

This way everything on your network could have IP addresses of 192.168.1.X

There should be no reason to use NAT in the ASUS.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD