Re: Modem/Router/Router -

On 4/20/19 8:34 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
I have found nothing in the settings indicating that option is available. NetworkManager shows two connection options, Ethernet (eno1) virbr0, I have it running at the eno1 and a fixed ipaddress on this computer, that works, the other never did where it would like to be 192.168 .122.1. My router does not normally work with that subnet?

I really don't understand what you are doing. It sounds like you are trying to configure something on your computer to make it work. This has nothing to do with your computer.

Is this device you have shaped like a triangular prism?

According to the little information I've been able to find, the viasat gateway should be at 192.168.100.1. But it's not clear, so what IP address does your computer get when it's connected to the gateway using either ethernet or wireless? Assuming you can get to the web interface of the gateway, the username should be "admin", the password is either "admin" or is written on the gateway somewhere. You should be able to disable the wifi if you want and there might be a way to switch it to bridged mode, either in the router settings or the modem settings. Be careful, if you do switch it to bridged mode, you might not be able access it again without completely resetting it.

In any case, bridged or not, you should be able to use your own router. Unless you've done some unusual configuration of your router, this is how it should be connected. Connect an ethernet cable from your router's WAN port to one of the gateway's LAN ports. I would recommend using port 1. Now, connect your other network devices to your router's LAN ports or wifi. Check the IP address of your computer now. Go to your router's web interface and make sure that the WAN interface is set to use DHCP and check what it's IP address is.