Re: Balsa -

On Wed, 2016-05-25 at 05:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Your suggestion of Fastmail.com or something similar looks like a
> possible solution if we can endure the address change. I will consider
> trying that.

Sounds like it's time to do something like it.  You've mentioned years
of annoying changes, bad mail handling, bad spam handling, bad support
services, etc.  If you can find a good mail host that you like, I think
you're going to appreciate it quite a lot.

I have my own domain name, and for some time was happy with my host, but
then they changed something, and messed me about.  So I upped sticks and
shifted to another host.  They recently got bought out, and are annoying
me, so I'll be looking to change, again.  Since it's my domain, I can
shift it and keep all my addresses, nothing changes but where the
service runs from.

One thing to be cautious about is going to some all-in-one web-hosting
service.  Many of them offer a combined website with X number of email
addresses.  Quite often, they only thing they really care about is the
web-serving, and the email hosting is an afterthought.

Though I've not had trouble with that aspect, other people have.  The
typical thing is a service provider not really caring about spammers in
their midst, until they get blacklisted.  Since all their customers
share IP addresses, one bastard ruins it for everyone.  It can take some
time to get de-listed.  A mail service provider, on the other hand, is
primarily concerned about mail working, and should have taken steps to
kill spam before it can get through their system, and is highly
motivated not to get blacklisted, in the first place.

For what it's worth, many ISPs are blacklisted, especially the big ones.
Huge number of customers will include many infested machines, never mind
those deliberately spamming.  So it's a thing that often goes un-noticed
by many users.  It's another of those "the computer didn't do what I
wanted" experiences.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.