Re: Balsa -

On 05/21/16 05:34, Tim wrote:
Tim:
The bottom half is where you set up the sending servers (SMTP).
Again, you get to give the configurations a name for your own
purposes, the server address (with a colon between address and the
port number), the login name and password, and some other options.

Bob Goodwin:
yes, and the GUI never allows me to set the server address there
[smtp.wildblue.net]. I can set it in config-private with a text editor
though and that seems to make outgoing work.
In what way does it not let you set an address?  No pop-up to type it
into, the text entry area is greyed-out, something else?
+
I can put the cursor on the box, nothing happens, typing produces nothing. Greyed out? I dunno what to call it since Balsa acts differently, block turns black when the cursor is on it, white when I click, and should then accept input, in this case does not.

I completely removed every vestige of balsa I could find and
re-installed anew with dnf install balsa. No improvement resulted but
I know there's nothing corrupted from my earlier efforts ...
Remove and reinstalling only affects system installation files, you will
have to manually manage user-files.  As far as I can see, they're
in /home/username/.balsa/

If you haven't messed with any system/software files, then there's no
point doing the Windows remove/replace hokey cokey dance.  To reset
things, quit the program, ensure that it is actually shut down, remove
user files, and start up the program.
+
Each time I change the balsa set-up I cd to .balsa and rm -fr *, have done that routinely with balsa, seems the only way since I have not determined hoe to get to everything directly via its files.

I "removed everything else" by doing an updatedb and then locate balsa, then removed everything that showed manually, perhaps there is a better way but that's all I can think of.
Perhaps I should install from whatever source you used, I don't care
if it's in French, just want to see this work.
I just did yum install balsa from the repos for my old version of Fedora
(20).  My point about the French screenshots was that was all I found in
my quick search, looking for screenshot examples.  Trying to see if
there's a difference between my version and current versions.
I have changed "localhost:25" to the proper server address
[smtp.wildblue.net] each time as part of my normal setup procedure, do
you think it may want localhost?
That can only work if you have a SMTP server installed on your computer,
*and* it's configured to send mail out to the rest of the world (which
is NOT The default).

Normally the port numbers required are 995 and 465.
465 is SMTPS (SMTP with some kind of security).
995 is POP3S (POP3 with some kind of security).
+
I know that, as I have said I have set up e-mail applications, mostly Thunderbird, what seems like a thousand times over twenty plus years, it usually works without a hitch, balsa has been an exception.

I might add I have other problems which I blame on my ISP, they have somehow managed to block everything from vzwpix.com forcing me to use gmail for communication with the iPhones, something important to me and using gmail for the purpose is an extra step. But that is another problem, just leads me to believe it may be related to my balsa problems.
The some-kind-of-security could be SSL or TLS.  Both local and remote
halves of the connection need to use the same type.  That is, the same
methods of connection, and the same encryption.  Remember that in recent
times, some encryption codes have been disabled for security problems,
so that's one potential area of failure (either you or them may be
trying to use a scheme that's now disabled).

Within the configuration windows for entering server addresses, there's
another (Advanced) tab that gives you options about TLS/SSL.  You may
need to go through the combinations available to you to make your client
use the ones your server requires you to use.  Setting up encrypted mail
can be a bit of an experiment, service providers like to do oddball
things, and don't keep their help pages up-to-date.  Likewise, clients
give a plethora of options that are not clear which ones you should set.

In general, with GUI software, you're better to not hand configure their
options, it's too easy for you to make typing errors or set conflicting
settings.

I would try just setting the server domain names without adding port
numbers, and toggle the various security options, while you go through
test sends/receives.  Then, if that gets you nowhere, start adding port
numbers.  But mail clients should really be switching from standard
non-encrypted port numbers to alternative standard encrypted port
numbers, when you click on SSL/TLS options, by themselves.
+
I think I have done these things as you suggest ...
So I tried mail.wildblue.net:995 fir the incoming server address,
still get ERR: Invalid Command when I "check" incoming mail.
Are you certain that you're supposed to be using POP3S?

POP3  POP v3 unsecured (username and password are not encrypted)
POP3S  POP v3 secured (username and password are encrypted)

Or is it POP versus IMAP that you've got wrong.

Is this appropriate to your service provider:
http://help.exede.net/articles/General/POP-IMAP-settings-for-Exede-and-WildBlue-email
I got there from go.wildblue.net

I suppose we should also ask the obvious:  On the computer that you're
trying to do this on, is other networking, working?  Is directly
connected?  What's it go through, routers, firewall boxes?  Is it a
straight OS system, or are you running through a virtual machine?
+
Pop or pop3s? There may be a problem there?

I have been working with this "straight" F-23 and a virtual F-24, both fail to connect to the incoming mail server.

Connection is via the Viasat Exede modem, an ASUS RT-66U router, a 16 port switch, wired to this computer, WIFI service is also provided to other family members, The router runs Shibby's tomato version of DD-WRT where I am able to do a lot of filtering, all of that stuff works. I have a collection os similarly set-up routers, all using some kind of DD-WRT. I do not believe my problems are related to any of that ... But I guess you should be aware of it.

I've uploaded some screenshots from my installation, here:
http://imgur.com/a/f11EE

Is your version using the same layout?  If so, that makes it a bit
easier to talk through things.  In mine, it's open the preferences and
see this Window, click on the top-most option in the left column to show
the options you see in that screenshot.
+
Similar but different, not as ornate, display. I have only two options, POP3 or IMAP, choose pop3, and a check box for SSL.

See: https://imagebin.ca/v/2hwHRtnmI5hU

And with my entries: https://imagebin.ca/v/2hwM3tHz8xhc
which produce the "Invalid Command" error message when I "check" for mail.

I can also enter the outgoing smtp address here but it does not seem to get used, never appears after that and as I said, to make outgoing work I have to put the address in config-private with a text editor, gedit by preference.

Clicking the Add button in the top half of the Remote Mailbox Servers
will pop up the windows that's shown in the second screenshot.  It's in
the Basic tab, showing what I hope are self-obvious options.  Though
I'll point out that the "Mailbox name" is for you to find your settings
and/or mail in the program, not the name of anything on the remote
server.

Clicking the Advanced tab at the top of that Remote Mailbox Servers
window takes you to the window shown in the third screenshot.  This is
where things may get tricky.

The Use SSL is an option that may or may not be required, and unless
your provider gives you specific and accurate instructions, you're
probably going to have to try it both ways.

The Use TLS if possible option ought to automatically get secure
connections right, the program would try to use TLS, if the server
responds to that type of connection, but will fall back to unsecured
attempts if the secured attempt fails.  i.e. It will try one, then the
other, automatically.  The other choices of Never and Required stop the
two-tries feature, and will only do unsecured or secured connection
attempts (useful to speed things up if you know your server only
supports one or the other).

The Disable APOP changes the logon technique, again.  It's supposedly
obsoleted, and you may need to choose to disable it.

The last screenshot is what you'll see when you hit the Add button in
the Outgoing Mail Servers in the main Balsa Preferences window.  Again,
the Descriptive name is for your benefit (if you had a list of different
servers all pre-configured, this allows you to pick the one that you
want).  The Use TLS options are the same kind of thing as previously
described (whether to automatically try secure then fall back to
unsecured, or to simply try one or the other, but not both).  The
Certificate Pass Phrase is for entering a pass phrase *IF* you're using
certificates that require you to do so, otherwise leave it blank.

You may, or may not, have to add port numbers after the server addresses
(e.g. mail.example.com versus mail.example.com:465), depending on how
clever the mail client is (I do not know), and whether your mail server
is doing something that requires you to use non-standard port numbers.

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD