Re: Balsa -

Allegedly, on or about 24 May 2016, Bob Goodwin sent:
> I have tried to respond to this message a number of times without
> success due, at least in part, to problems with my ISP's email system,
> presently when I try to send that particular responding message to the
> list via gmail instead of the Wildblue.net I get:
>
> "Technical details of permanent failure:
> Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the
> server for the recipient domain wildblue.net by mx.wildblue.net.
> [69.168.102.194].
>
> The error that the other server returned was:
> 554 5.7.1 [P4] Message blocked due to spam content in the message."

The rejection may be down to how you're sending.  The address you use in
your "from" field may be checked by the servers your posting through, to
see if they want to allow it.  So, trying to post from a gmail account
through a wildblue SMTP server may just not work (though that seems a
particularly dumb domain for an ISP to block).

Also, as your mail goes through the internet, it passes through several
servers, that may do the same check.  And decide that mail written from
some domain ought to originate from it.

Gmail, itself, might do the same.  Deciding that some other SMTP server
is not an authorised poster for gmail mail.

See:  DNS SPF records for futher enlightenment/confusion.

While it's laudible to take steps to stop the sending of mail, I've yet
to come across any system that doesn't cause breakage for non-spammers.
Particularly when you have to work around a bad ISP.

It seems to be yet another push towards making people do their mail
through a website, and that's nearly the worst way to do it.

> It appears the "spam" is the url's for several screenshots I included in my message.
>
> When sent via Wildblue there is no error message, apparently it is
> just spam and dumped without notice.

Okay, the spam checker may be erroneous, I don't like them for that
reason.  They can get overzealous, and decide that everything from some
domain is spam, regardless of the actual content.

SMTP blocking of spam can only really deal with it in two ways, without
generating more spam.  Silently kill it, or refuse to accept it during
the sending process (your mail program will fail during the attempt, and
may or may not show you an error response from the server).  If it were
to accept it, assess it, and try to reject it back to the sender
(afterwards), it'd look at the "from" address and return it there.
Spammers have been faking the "from" address for many years, so their
spam will either spam whoever they sent it to, or whomever's "from"
address they faked.

> In addition I found that they had disabled my e-mail account which
> lead to problems with my list subscription, the whole mess has been a
> nightmare with a lot of time spent on the telephone. There has been no
> explanation for any of this.

Could be an automated response from all the failed attempt to use it.

Some ISPs mail server is abysmal, and it can be well worth getting your
own domain name and using it with a professional mail service (ones that
know what they're doing, and let their customers do mail properly).
There are some inexpensive ones.  e.g. I believe Fastmail.com has a $25
per year service.

The other advantages of your own domain name, are that you're not tied
to your ISP.  If you want to move, you can, and you don't have to lose
your email address.  And you can create the email addresses that you
want and need (whether that be multiple addresses, or exactly the
address that you want, rather than some scrambled thing because someone
else on your ISP has the same name).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Windows (TM) [Typhoid Mary]. They refuse to believe that there's
anything wrong with it, but everyone else knows Windows is a disease
that spreads.