Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

On 04/01/2014 12:10 AM, Robin Laing wrote:
On 2014-03-28 14:23, Max wrote:
On 03/25/2014 02:24 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mar 25, 2014, at 2:41 AM, lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Partitioning took me about three hours with the installer of F19,
with a
very simple setup and not even data to preserve and neither RAID, nor
encryption, and it was only possible after I created the partitions
outside the installer.  There was no way to do it with the
installer, it
kept saying there isn`t enough room despite there was plenty, and
it did
what it wanted rather than what I wanted.
Please post the bugzilla URL.
I didn`t make one, I was busy trying to install.  You need to get used
to that not every problem is or can be made into a bug report,
especially not one that would be in any way useful.
What I ought to do is not QA Manual Partitioning anymore and just let
the people who actually think they need or want it do all the testing
and bug reporting for it and let it become whatever it becomes.

Most of the size reporting problems like this are non-contiguous
sections of free space being added up and reported as Available space;
but the request is for a partition size greater than the largest
contiguously available space.
Maybe it begins with the installer messing together all the disks in
some weird way rather than to treat them separately and just let you
partition them the way you want to.  IIRC, there wasn`t even a way to
tell it which partition to put where.
It is possible although the UI isn't obvious. You click on the mount
point in question, and then there is this 3rd or 4th button under the
mount points section that looks like a wrench and screwdriver (?) that
you click. And that brings up a dialog where you choose which drive
that mount point's underlying partition appears on.

It was seriously awful.  It would have taken 10--15 minutes with the
Debian installer.
It isn't going to get better complaining about it on this list. Do you have bugzilla IDs, and if so post them. If not, then how do you expect
the behavior to get any better? Magic?
The makers of the installer can always look into this list and see what
ppl say about the installer and learn from that.
No they will not do this, and it's inappropriate to even suggest it.
That you don't get that simply means you're ignorant of how the
process works.

  Bug reports are not
suited for this, and complaining that ppl don`t make enough of them
doesn`t get you anywhere.
Filing a bug report is the process. That's it. It works this way for
everything: gnome, kde, and even commercial projects do it this way.
They do not have developers hanging out in user forums ever. Sometimes
QA people hang out in user forums.
I believe what you want is a request for enhancement(RFE) because it
probably works as intended. A clear succinct explanation of what the
perceived problem is and what the suggested enhancement is or should be
has to included. Saying you don't like it isn't going to get you
anywhere. You have to lucidly explain why it falls short and how to
improve it. You have to appeal to logic not emotion.

I agree. Some are easy as adding a word here or there. On the Installation Destination screen, when you select the drive, it not say "Done" on the button but "Next" or "Continue" as there is another screen. This is confusing the first time you run into it.

On the next screen. adding the word customize after review/modify, will also help clarify the choice for customized installation. Modify doesn't mean customize to me.

RFE's on bugzilla.  1079655 and 1082890 cover these two points.

One thing I have learned over the years in most of my work. When writing instructions, write them for someone two grade levels below you and you should cover all aspects of the task at hand.

Too often we express thoughts that are born solely out of our own experience. We fail to provide all the background and context for the statement we are making and so other people do not necessarily get it if they haven't had the same experience.

So if your using custom partitioning then it may be worthwhile to explain why you use custom partitioning. Not because its anybody's business but simply because it provides context to the person to whom your trying to explain exactly how the issue arose, you want to put them in your shoes, make them forget who they are for a moment so they can see the situation through your eyes. This can provide insight into the exact nature of the issue.

Though depending on who your talking too it just might confuse them. Just think how boring the world would be if we were all on the same level!

A lot of the time we feel compelled to /argue/ our point and it becomes a competition, a power struggle of sorts. What we should be doing is explaining instead of trying to win an argument. Though how people respond often sets us down the path of argument before we realize what has happened.

If you want to convince someone of your viewpoint then you usually have to be very deliberate. Success is never guaranteed regardless of what explanations we may provide. Try to avoid conscious manipulation if at all possible.

--
maximilianobianco.deviantart.com/gallery