Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I,?“Why?”)

Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Partitioning took me about three hours with the installer of F19, with a
>> very simple setup and not even data to preserve and neither RAID, nor
>> encryption, and it was only possible after I created the partitions
>> outside the installer.  There was no way to do it with the installer, it
>> kept saying there isn`t enough room despite there was plenty, and it did
>> what it wanted rather than what I wanted.
>
> Please post the bugzilla URL.

I didn`t make one, I was busy trying to install.  You need to get used
to that not every problem is or can be made into a bug report,
especially not one that would be in any way useful.

I already said what I would have put into such a bug report in another
post.  It won`t be useful.

> Most of the size reporting problems like this are non-contiguous
> sections of free space being added up and reported as Available space;
> but the request is for a partition size greater than the largest
> contiguously available space.

Maybe it begins with the installer messing together all the disks in
some weird way rather than to treat them separately and just let you
partition them the way you want to.  IIRC, there wasn`t even a way to
tell it which partition to put where.  You could either pick only disk
(of the two there were) and install on only that, with the the other one
completely unusable. Or you could pick both of them, in which case there
was no way to tell what would happen because they were messed together
somehow.  You didn`t have a choice about the swap partition, either.  I
would just force you to use one that was already existing, with no way
to tell it not to use it or to delete it.  It just sucked.

>> It was seriously awful.  It would have taken 10--15 minutes with the
>> Debian installer.
>
> It isn't going to get better complaining about it on this list. Do you
> have bugzilla IDs, and if so post them. If not, then how do you expect
> the behavior to get any better? Magic?

The makers of the installer can always look into this list and see what
ppl say about the installer and learn from that.  Bug reports are not
suited for this, and complaining that ppl don`t make enough of them
doesn`t get you anywhere.

Or, since you keep insisting on bug reports, why don`t you go ahead and
put together a list of URLs to the list archive pointing to posts about
the installer to compile a combined bug report?

How much attention and fixing do you think that would get?  It`ll
probably be closed with WONTFIX, one reason being that what is said here
doesn`t refers much more to installers from F17 to F19.

Perhaps the installer of F20 has be re-designed from scratch, at least
when it comes to partitioning, and now works fine.

>> you just do country and keyboard setup --- which is missing in Fedoras
>> installer, there was no way to tell it that I have a German keyboard ---
>
> Fedora 18, 19 and 20 have a keyboard spoke in the installer which is
> how you tell it you want to use a German keyboard layout.

Whatever they might have, I tried several times (because I had to start
over many times because it refused to do the partitioning) to tell the
installer of F19 that I have a German keyboard, and there was no way.  I
don`t even know what you mean by "spoke".  You boot the life system,
search for "install" to find the installer, then you get an icon and
start the installer, and pretty soon you get stuck with trying to do the
partitioning.

>> It`s easy and straightforward as it used to be for the last twenty
>> years, and I never had trouble using it.  Why suddenly make installing
>> such a PITA like Fedoras installer does?
>

> Please don't ask silly questions that propose the intended design goal
> was to piss users off, it's irritating.

That seems to be an assumption you have.

If Debian has changed their installer to something the like what Fedora
has, I really don`t see why they suddenly would waste their effort on
creating a new installer that makes installing a PITA rather than
keeping and improving a perfectly good installer.  So tell me: Why would
they?

I wouldn`t mind if they made a new installer as good or even better as
the existing one.  They`d only need to leave the existing one around,
possibly as an easy to find option, or as the default, until the new is
ready to replace it.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)