RE: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

> Every single aspect of it is a real problem. In the dictionary they have a
> picture of it next to the word "disaster". The whole random wheel/spoke
> thing is an invitation to forget to do something important. And who the hell
> would think that "network" would be the spoke where you set the system
> name? Why is the screen full of blank space and cryptic meaningless icons
> when it could use some of that space for valuable hints in actual text you can
> read?

The system name or hostname is important to networking; so, I can see why it's under networking, but I believe your frustration is more related to the lack of guidance and quality than anything else.

The old installer did a much better job of 'guiding' the user through a set path of installation which achieved greater visibility and made it hard to skip or miss options. Of course, the negative side was the user could have an overwhelming feeling due to the tremendous amount of time it took to go through everything. The new installer sacrifices visibility and guidance for a more free process that sometimes has a very cookie-cutter or blank feeling to every screen, but it drastically reduces the time spent in installation since the user can bounce around wherever they want.

> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On the specific you do give, I'm pretty confident in saying that
> > you're actually wrong.
>
> And therein lies the problem. Everyone who worked on partitioning has
> been congratulating each other for so long you can't see any problems. The
> partitioning is actually absolutely impossible to use:

While I agree that Matthew's response was naive, you didn't offer any initial feedback that supported your feelings.

> If there are multiple disks, it provides you only the size, model, and serial
> number to distinguish them, as though everyone has that memorized.
> Your only actually choice is to pick them all and hope you can see a clue later.

I believe there is a link towards the bottom left that will show more details, but it's easy to miss.

> After picking which disks to partition, you are presented with a single
> choice: You can press the Done button even though you are not anywhere
> close to done, or you can say "Screw this" and install a different distro.
>
> Should you work up the courage to press the Done button, you then reach
> the next layer of total obfuscation.

I agree that there is a usability issue. The installer almost has the feeling that it was designed to be the equivalent of a senseless click fest like installing adware bundled with software. I guess that is sort of what they wanted... quicker experience, but I don't think they've gotten the right mixture.

The installation team needs to work on bridging the gap a little... and I think they will.

> The adjectives "intuitive" or "useful" cannot be applied to any part of this
> interface. It is absolute and total junk.
>
> Our only hope is for redhat to use this in the next RHEL and then we can
> probably get changes as wave after wave of enterprise users descend on
> redhat HQ with pitchforks and torches.

I know you're frustrated, but this is what Fedora was designed for: a more up-to-date distro that can iterate on new features to get them right before adding it to RHEL. Just keep your fingers crossed that they fix a few issues before Fedora 21 now that they're aware of your complaints :-)