Re: F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

On Jan 6, 2014 12:36 PM, "Bob Marcan" <bob.marcan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:37:26 -0700
> Pete Travis <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Libnotify works will all the DEs I've used, and there should be - if the DE
> > is behaving properly - a way to make notifications persistent until
> > acknowledged.
> >
> > That said, I don't think that the few people passionately advocating a
> > default MTA here have introduced anything that wasn't said in the Change
> > proposal discussion.  Isn't there a better use for all this energy?
> >
> > --Pete
>
> What means behaving properly? Obeying your rules?
> And i don't use DE, i'm using fvwm Window Manager.
> The answer will probably be: use modern DE.
> DE with the ridiculous big icons, designed for touch screen.
> But i don't have one. I'm using workstation with keyboard and mouse.
> Keyboard as primary!
>
> Am i too outdated? Probably yes. When i started, the memory was
> measured in KB, external storage in MB and power in KW.
>
> As long i can install MTA and the applications will send notifications
> via email, it is o.k. for me.
> Otherwise i can use Windoze crap.
> It seems this is the way where all this heads to.
> Bob
> --

"Behaving properly" in this context means that the desktop notification system should retain critical priority messages until acknowledged.  I don't know how your window manager behaves - you can test it from the command line with `notify-send`.

I'm pointing out that desktop notifications need not be specific to any DE.  I am not claiming this is the ideal and preferred method for all applications to communicate with users for all use cases.  I'm not even claiming to know how all use cases deal with libnotify.

I can say with some confidence that if a background  process has an important message, the user is more likely to receive the message if they are sent a persistent desktop notification. An MTA installed by default or not does not affect this premise.

Is someone intending to drive a Change proposal to include an MTA in the default offering? If not, what exactly do you expect to gain from a debate on the user support list?

--Pete