Re: F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Chris Murphy <lists <at> colorremedies.com> writes:

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 3:42 PM, "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars <at> homer.se> wrote:
>
> > On 01/02/2014 11:31 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Yes, all critical notifications are supposed to stay persistent.  That
> >> is the right model to alert desktop users about anything relevant enough
> >> to bother them with.   Not emails.
> >
> > Works OK on a desktop, but how is the home server use case, where the
user is not logged in on the computer,
> supposed to be handled?
> >
> > Regarding emails. I still have not gotten any response from anyone on
how to handle the output from, as an
> example, cron, logwatch, etc. Hopefully someone could tell how that is
supposed top be taken care of now
> that the MTA is removed.
>
> If you like the MTA method of being notified, install an MTA. Simple. You
have been told this numerous times
> so don't say you haven't gotten any responses.
>
> > That would involve both adding to the journal, and notify the user,
and/or other actions. Shouldn't that
> have been addressed *before* removing the MTA?
>
> No because no one was getting messages with the MTA unless they went
looking for them in the first place. And
> now they merely have one more step which is installing the MTA of their
choice, which for a lot of Fedora
> users wasn't sendmail anyway.
>
> Sendmail was taking up space on the install media, on users computers, for
no benefit for the vast majority
> of users. I don't know how many times this has to be said - look at the
number of unique individuals involved
> in the conversation in this thread? It's less than a dozen. So we're
talking thousands of users, and less
> than 12 give a crap whether an MTA is installed by default or not. It's
really close to zero people care about it.

> Chris Murphy
Chris -

This is as close as I can get to the "end" of this discussion since I get
the digest so it will have to do.  I've seen you claim over and over that
"no one" uses e-mail for system notifications.  This is the exact opposite
of my experience (30+ years with computers, 25+ years with Unix systems and
15+ years with Linux including currently working as a Linux/Unix engineer).
 Do you have *ANY* independently verifiable numbers to back up your claim?

My experience has been that Linux newbies don't know about root e-mail and
go whining on various discussion boards about how they didn't know that
there was a problem until someone points them to root e-mail and e-mail
aliases.  If these are the "no one uses e-mail" people you're claiming is
"everyone" then you're listening to the wrong people.  Or is it just that
these are the people you agree with?

Personally, I find the Windows practice of hiding notifications behind an
inscrutable "event log" interface to be far, far worse than getting e-mail
notifications.  I'll take logwatch e-mails any day over an event log since
it also lets me watch for trends or anomalies that may not break a reporting
threshold.  Likewise, I compare the typical event API notification to being
like the "idiot lights" most cars come with.  You know, the "over
temperature" light that comes one AFTER steam is coming out from under the
hood or the tire pressure warning light that comes on as you pull off the
road with a flat?

I have not had the displeasure of trying F-20 without an MTA yet.  When I
do, I will install an MTA so I can monitor the system the same way I monitor
my other systems.  I just hope I don't have to write a perl script to take
output from journalctl and e-mail me when something important happens.

Cheers,
Dave