Re: DNS problem -

Allegedly, on or about 11 November 2013, Bob Goodwin sent:
> He makes it sound that it's essential to stick with their software,
> some parts of which are apparently contained in the modem. As I said I
> am quite happy with the service, it normally works well and there is
> nothing better available to me. I also recently subscribed to their
> voip service and find it superior to the cell phone [we discontinued
> the land-line long ago] there is usually no detectable delay due to
> transit time to the satellite. My only problem was the intermittent
> DNS.

Looking at that page, from what I can gather.  They have a ground based
network, with high speed and high bandwidth.  It connects to you, other
users, and probably other local services.  The satellite is their link
to things further away, and has latency by still high bandwidth, so
things work well enough by the time that they've started and filled up a
cache (e.g. watching streaming video).  The modem has some custom
compression to speed thing up even more - though any old BBS SysOp can
tell you that you can only speed up still-compressible data, that way,
not all data.

So, again, I say just find yourself a decent DNS server, and use it
instead.  You'll still be going through their caches and proxies for the
data, you'll just be getting the addresses quicker.

Next time it happens, start playing with the dig tool.  Make queries
against your router, and against the DNS IPs the ISP provides (to the
router), and try some external DNS servers that have different ports
(the dig command lets you specify ports, read the man page, brief
outline below).  Do queries for different addresses, if you keep
querying the same address, you'll just get results from a cache.

dig @server -p number address

Substituting "server" for the address of server you're going to query,
"number" for the port number you're querying through (if not the usual
port 53), and address for the address you want to query.

Have you tried OpenDNS on port 5353 instead of port 53?  If you're
lucky, your ISP is only doing a simplistic buggery of DNS on 53.

e.g. dig @208.67.222.222 -p 5353 www.bbc.co.uk
; <<>> DiG 9.9.3-rl.156.01-P1-RedHat-9.9.3-3.P1.fc17 <<>> @208.67.222.222 -p 5353 www.bbc.co.uk
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.bbc.co.uk.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.bbc.co.uk.		291	IN	CNAME	www.bbc.net.uk.
www.bbc.net.uk.		165	IN	A	212.58.244.68
www.bbc.net.uk.		165	IN	A	212.58.244.69

;; Query time: 98 msec
;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#5353(208.67.222.222)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 13 01:03:31 CST 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 100

I get about a quarter or third of that time if I try other DNS servers.
My own took 1500 mS the first time, then 6 ms for subsequent attempts
(local cache is much quicker than internet propagation delays).  Queries
for other addresses took about 100 mS, so the BBC query must have been
answered by something further away.  My server checks it cache, then (if
it doesn't have an answer) goes out to the root servers (to find out who
would know the answer), then whatever servers the roots tell it, like a
proper traditional DNS server.

I consider 1.5 secs for a response to be unusually long.  I couldn't put
up with that, or worse, consistently.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.