Re: DNS problem -

On 10/11/13 15:10, staticsafe wrote:
On 11/10/2013 14:57, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
Recently we have begun to have problems with our browsers stopping to
work, ask it to go to a bookmark address and nothing happens, everything
stops until an error message comes up that the address can not be found.

Thunderbird continues to receive e-mail unless I restart Thunderbird,
then it is unable to find gmail.com. The problem exists on two F-19
computers and several Apple computers on the LAN, in fact I often become
aware of the problem when someone complains that the internet connection
is down.

I can always restore normal operation by re-starting the Viasat modem, a
process that takes several minutes and is an annoyance.

I have determined that I can enter a numeric address e.g. 199.106.52.212
for viasat.com and that works as expected. At the request of viasat tech
support I tried taking the router out of the circuit and connecting
directly to the modem, that effected no change. Curiously, at the time
this this morning when the problem was manifest tech support's "computer
was down" which left me wondering if there was a correlation with my
apparent DNS problem. I was asked to call back in a few hours, I did that.

The tech support person seemed to take offense at my claiming there was
a DNS problem and went on to explain that I probably have a dhcp problem
and we need to start by "re-setting my NIC."  From there on the
conversation began to deteriorate and she accused me of shouting at her,
I was able to extricate myself gracefully after that and agree that I
would call back when I had more time to devote to troubleshooting.

Am I missing some point here? Is there some connection between dhcp and
dns that I am not aware of. My dhcp server is in the router and deals
with about thirty addresses on the LAN and works faultlessly as far as I
can see.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Bob

DHCP is used to distribute DNS resolvers to your LAN.

What resolvers do you get via DHCP?

(Check Network Manager or /etc/resolv.conf)

Well this is what I see:

[bobg@box10 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

192.168.1.1 is my Linksys E3000 DD-WRT router.

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box10   Fedora-19/64 bit Linux/XFCE