Re: what has 'yum update' done?

Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Am 09.07.2013 07:13, schrieb lee:
>> Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> i explained you taht you do *not* need to *clone* the system because
>>> it is enough to clone *your* personal configuration
>
>> If you have, I must have missed it.
>
> read all what i wrote

I did.

>> How would I clone all the configuration?
>
> any non systemwide configuration is in your userhome
> thew few systemdwide chagne if even ones in /etc
> you need to know

Sure, and what about the installed packages?

>>> if you still think you have no need for a VM and so having a testing
>>> environment nobody can help you
>>
>> Are you seriously expecting me to spend about EUR 200 to buy VMWare
>
> you missed the learn to deal with "the networking part is extremely
> difficult" of KVM, your problem is you do not want to spend time
> nor money which leads you nowhere
>
> period

No, I haven't missed that at all.  I'm simply refusing to go to
ridiculous lengths just to upgrade Fedora.

>>> not in reality
>>> not in case of a linux system
>>>
>>> software become not more complicated
>>> it became in many parts too simplified
>>
>> You're wrong.  Just take, for example, a Linux kernel from 1995 and
>> compare it with one from 2013.  How much functionality has been added,
>> how many more lines of code are part of the kernel from 2013 compared to
>> the one from 1995?
>
> you missed the word reality

Which is supposed to mean what?

> for the ordinary enduser most things and hardware are
> wroking out of the box these days

Quite a bit of progress has been made in that regard.  It's one of the
reasons why software has become much more complicated.

>> Do the same with other software that still exists,
>> and even though it doesn't really give you a good picture, you'll be
>> surprised.  How many different CPUs are in use today, how many different
>> hardware combinations?  Compare that to what was available in
>> 1995.
>
> how many hardware vendors are write opensource
> drivers these days and how many big companies
> are member of the Linux Foundation and supporting
> Linux and how many did 1995
>
> again: you missed the word "reality"

What are you trying to say?

>> Compare the functionality some software like Libreoffice provides
>> today with what it's equivalent in 1995 provided.
>
> so what - i worked with "Star Office" in the 1990's
> it was useable but much more buggy as LE today

And it was as complicated as LO is today?

>> Look at graphics cards and compare recent models of today with those
>> that were recent in 1995 and try to tell anyone they aren't any more
>> complicated today than they were in 1995.  Same goes for other
>> hardware.
>
> *what does this bother you as user?*

Whether it bothers me or not is totally irrelevant here.

>> You'll probably find that quite a lot of now common hard- and software
>> is so complicated that it would have been impossible to manufacture it
>> in 1995.
>
> so what

You were saying things haven't become more complicated.  I'm saying they
have.

>> Then make a list of soft- and hardware that wasn't commonly used or
>> didn't even exist in 1995 but is common today.  Look at a web browser
>> from 1995 and compare its complexity with one from 2013 and try to tell
>> anyone that software hasn't become more complicated since 1995.
>
> for the ordinary user?
> clearly no!

What are you trying to say here?

>>> because nobody and *nothing* started and starts magically
>>> a dist-upgrade without making some major mistake
>>>
>>> this is simply not true - period
>>
>> Ok, so you are denying the facts
>
> no, i simply do not believe it

Well, that's up to you.

> if faced too often people enable the rawhide-repo as example
> because "more is better" and all sorts of things normally
> nobody would imagine that a user does for whatever reason

Well, I have a file like "rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo" in
/etc/yum.repos.d/ which is there because I need the NVIDIA drivers.  I
was just following the instructions and have no way of knowing if
there's something wrong with that or not.  If you can show that it does
cause problems, you should make a bug report.

--
"Object-oriented programming languages aren't completely convinced that
you should be allowed to do anything with functions."