Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 19/02/2013 01:48, David wrote:
On 2/18/2013 7:48 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 02/18/2013 04:12 PM, jonc issued this missive:
On 02/18/2013 07:06 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

I don't think you can take comments on lists or forums to represent the
opinions and experience of average users.

I rather think you can, since that is where the average user is going
to go for help. If there is an avalanche of negative comments about the
way something has been implemented, or changed, or perceived as broken,
then there's obviously something real going on. Many, MANY bugfixes
have come about because of comments in user fora--not necessarily from
bugzillas.

If developers want to join in and say who they are, I think that's
great. If they are *afraid* to tell users they are developers, that says
something ugly about those users.

Or about the developers and their inability to take criticism (sometimes
very, VERY justified criticism).

And, after all of the negative, nasty, comments in places like here/
They switched to some flavor of Ubuntu.

I think this hits the nail squarely on the head. Fedora tries to compete with Ubuntu in terms of user experience while being expected to be an incubator for EL. The two goals are at serious odds with each other a lot of the time. In the interest of doing inexperienced desktop user hand-holding the sacrifices are stability, familiarity and predictability in the enterprise server environment (e.g. by crippling the text mode installer's ability to use custom hand made partitions since F11, switching from sysvinit to upstart then inserting a legacy behaviour shim to make it still behave exactly like sysvinit, and I dread to think what sort of a mess is going to result from reconciling that with systemd in the next major EL release - and all for the sake of supposedly saving a few seconds of boot-up time; seriously, boot-up time fascination is not something for grown-ups to get hung up about).

Gordan