Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/18/2013 10:22 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

And what is the problem with not improving things that don't need improving? There needs to be a distinct line between maintaining a good, stable familiar product and going off on a tangent with experimental interfaces. The way most people see it, Gnome 3 is exactly that - a UI experiment, not something you should be bundling into a stable product.

"...not improving things that don't need improving" is subjective. I honestly don't know what people expected to happen. What was Gnome supposed to do? Freeze Gnome 2 and go home? They're developers, they're gonna develop. If more of them were around, maybe some of them would have kept Gnome 2 alive in maintenance. But, I think it's pretty obvious that wasn't the case.

Not liking Gnome Shell is a legitimate position. It's a long way from there to asserting it shouldn't exist at all.

What happened to Gnome 2 -- forked by MATE -- is, btw, exactly what is
supposed to happen in FOSS.

I couldn't agree more. It is a great shame that this doesn't happen more often, but when the dissatisfaction of users really gets to a point where enough momentum for a fork is achieved, it is a pretty damning statement.
I think forks happen to scratch developer itches, not to meet user desires. I just don't see any substantial link, other than good will, between user wishes and developer goals. in FOSS.

Personally, having some years of professional exposure to mediating between developers and users, I think most users don't know how to communicate their actual needs to developers, and most developers don't know how to elicit that information. I found users typically framed their desires within the framework of their current software, not in terms of the behaviors they needed to perform their jobs. That freed developers to avoid creating software that supported those behaviors and allowed them to write faster and shinier versions of the old software.