Re: ACL removal day?!

Christopher Aillon wrote:
Do you mean if explicitly requested or if explicitly requested and they manage to convince $acl_giving_body. I imagine that this is going to turn into a government-like regulatory thing where people are going to make maintainers feel bad for even thinking about adding an ACL. We'd need this to be no-questions-asked IFF we do this.

I don't think ACL requests by package maintainers need to be regulated as long as some groups which really need them get access as outlined in my other mail. I would really like to have maintainer's explicitly document the need for ACL's on their packages. There is a balance between security, critical nature of a package vs benefits of shared work via more open access. On some packages such as the kernel or glibc I think it is clear that ACL's are justified but it might be more appropriate to special case such packages instead of restricting ACL's by default.

But a better question is: why are we trying to be different from the way every open source project works?

I don't think we are all that different. Comparing individual projects to a distribution which needs to integrate thousands of packages together doesn't seem to work well but if you do compare other distributions there are is some similarities in the sense that there is a group of people who share the work across the repository or a smaller subset. Debian has FTP masters and NMU's. Gentoo has herds and so on.

Also note that what is being discussed is not a entirely new change and Fedora Extras had always had open access to package maintainers and we haven't had any security or integrity issues with that.

Rahul