Re: ACL removal day?!

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Rahul Sundaram (sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
There is a pretty easy solution to that. Ask the maintainers. New package maintainers are likely to be not aware of the current policy of automatically adding ACL's to their packages. I suspect many of them would prefer to share the work in things that can be done by a group like rebuilding packages.

... then they are able to remove them, and we can discuss changing the
defaults/adding something to the CVS request form/whatever. I'm not
seeing the problem here?

The need for ACL's by default that restrict the package to only the package maintainers is not clear and package maintainers are not aware that ACL are added by default to their packages. If it is explicitly documented that ACL's are added by default that solves the latter problem. I would prefer that ACL are only added if explicitly requested since having a common pool allows some of the work (mass rebuilds, rebuilds for soname bumps, resolving conflicting files in between packages, E-V-R issues, security problems etc) to be shared by other package maintainers interested in maintaining the quality of the repository on the whole.

Rahul