Re: use disttag ".1" for devel to avoid confusion

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 05:12:43PM -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 04:56:50PM -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> >>
> >>Why is it better with a disttag, out of curiosity?
> >
> >It is easier to copy over spec files for the different versions. Those
> >are rebuilt quite often in any case for changes in gcc/libc,
> >so there isn't much gain in avoiding disttag changes (like it is for
> >packages less often rebuilt like noarch packages).
>
> How often do those change ABI on stable released versions?  Why would it
> need a rebuild on e.g. FC6?

Not on stable release but on devel. What I was meaning is that for
packages that don't need to be rebuilt a disttag may be problematic
since a rebuild will trigger a new version and therefore an update even
when it is not needed. For binary packages rebuilds in general should
lead to updates.

Now, on stable release a rebuild should be caused by a bugfix, an update
or whatever, in that case having dist tags helps reusing spec files
while keeping upgrade paths.

--
Pat