Re: Fedora User Management (revisited)

Simo Sorce <ssorce@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I think that's a packaging error.  From my point of view, once a user
> is created it should never be deleted.

Happens automatically e.g. during a reinstallation. E.g. have /srv/data
with TiB of data owned by service user A with dynamic uid 234. Something
foobars your system (disk error in system partition, somebody deleted
/lib, perhaps intrusion) and after reinstallation the user A has suddenly
an uid of 198.

> Besides, there are countries (Italy for example, but I think
> Sarbanes-Oaxley in the US may say something similar) where there
> are laws that dictate how to manage users and declare that users
> should never deleted but disabled.

Without being sure, I think this is about accounts of natural persons
but not of service users.

Enrico