Re: Fedora User Management (revisited)

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 12:45 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > "a package/daemon writes files and/or reads files which are protected
> > by file permissions" does not do so by default from machine A to
> > machine B, right?
>
> Perhaps not "by default"; but this package might be used in a setup
> which shares network resources betwen A and B.

sharing resource between machines using protocls like NFSv3 requires
planning _from scratch_. You cannot share resources otherwise in any
case because real users and groups uid/gids will not match. So the
example is simply deceiving and not real.

> I do not see why you want to delete the user resp. why you are speaking
> about this. Problem happens when 'httpd' has uid 100 on A, uid 101 on B
> and both are using a common, NFS-shared /srv/www.
>
> Or, when /srv/www is on the local machine, contains an huge amount of
> data, and the system must be reinstalled for some reason.

If you have to reinstall you just keep around /etc/passwd anyway, you
don't want to reenter all passwords, and all users and change all
permissions on regular user files.
Please think of realistic examples. People is willing to discuss this
matter but on the ground of reasonable example and arguments.

> 'fedora-usermgmt' solves this problem by allowing the adminstrator to
> use a fixed window for daemon uids. With this setup, 'httpd' will have
> same uid on machine A and B, and after the reinstallation.

Sorry to say it, but this is just *BS*, you may have reserved different
ranges on the 2 machines, and you are back from start.
Your "solution" solves exactly nothing and introduces other problems
(see other mails where I detailed what problems it may cause).