Re: What if we moved to Discourse?

As one of the folks who was probably more on the negative side I'd still try it and was told there's a mailing list feature on discourse so it can be used similar to this if we want as users.  +1 from me for giving it a chance.

On June 1, 2020 3:45:21 AM CDT, Adam Samalik <asamalik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>
>Some of the pros are that a forum is more accessible and feels more
>inclusive and open to newcomers. There were also comments about mailing
>lists being seen as confusing or even archaic.
>
>Some of you just like the idea of consolidation of our channels and are for
>the change for this reason.
>
>Also, we had some confusion about new creating accounts or proposing other
>self-hosting alternatives. I'm only proposing Discourse because Fedora
>already has one, and it works with the Fedora account system:
>https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/ So there are no new accounts
>involved, and we won't be deploying yet another service, just using what's
>already available.
>
>And then there was one concern about this proposal not solving the problem
>with having Pagure separated. And while I kind of agree it's not solving
>the disconnect directly, I believe that moving all the discussions into one
>place helps people see the proposals and engage with them more. And yes,
>we'll still need to make a card for each article, but it will be easier to
>just see it and do it. Or we can ask the person proposing the idea to
>create the card and link back to the discussion. I think that just the fact
>of it being more visible helps. And the reason I propose moving to
>Discourse (rather than using the mailing list for this) is the
>accessibility and the ability to easily link to the discussion.
>
>I realize it's not a perfect solution, but I think it's the best reasonable
>option we have. We're basically choosing between the following three
>solutions:
>
>1/ Keep what we have now. Proposals in Pagure, general discussion on the
>list, tracking in Taiga.
>2/ Proposals AND general discussion in Discourse, tracking in Taiga.
>3/ The same as 2, but using a mailing list. So proposals and discussion on
>the list, and tracking in Taiga.
>
>Options 2 and 3 have all the discussions in one place — being it proposals
>or anything else. But what I propose, option 2, is to have a place that's
>more accessible, more open to newcomers or casual contributors, and easy to
>link to.
>
>And even if we somehow automated the process of creating Taiga cards from
>Pagure, or moved the proposals directly to Taiga, we'd still had discussion
>on two different places, keeping the engagement on the proposals quite low
>as we have it now.
>

>So, to move forward, are there people strongly against? Especially those of
>you who are concerned. Or are we willing to give this a shot?
>
>On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:25 AM Clement Verna <cverna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 16:15, Adam Samalik <asamalik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> What if we moved to Discourse [1]?
>>>
>>> We touched this during today's meeting [2] towards the end.
>>>
>>> Right now we have various things in three different places:
>>> 1/ This mailing list for general discussion
>>> 2/ Pagure repository [3] for article proposals and discussion around those