Re: What if we moved to Discourse?

Le lundi 01 juin 2020 à 10:45 +0200, Adam Samalik a écrit :
> So I've read all the comments and I feel there are a few people for
> the
> move and no one clearly against. But we have some concerns or
> undecided, too.
>
> Some of the pros are that a forum is more accessible and feels more
> inclusive and open to newcomers. There were also comments about
> mailing
> lists being seen as confusing or even archaic.

Personally, my concern with discourse is that while that's much better
for new comers (there is a tutorial, there is richer text edit which
permit more way to express one self, etc), anything requiring to go on
a web page is likely less efficient than a rich email client, due to
network latency among others, but also because I can run 1 client and
access several projects discussion at once, while I would need to check
several discourses with the risk of forgetting one otherwise.

However, I know there is a way to be notified by mail (the so called
"mailing list mode" in "preferences"/"email"), and while I didn't tried
it (yet), I do assume that the worst that would happen with it wouldn't
be different than a discussion on a bugzilla/pagure/github ticket. So
it would solve part of the problem of being able to watch over several
discussions in a efficient way (still no way to efficiently answer, but
I never participate here, just watch for things around hosting, so we
wouldn't lose much by a move).

Now, as a side note, before moving anything, I would also go see
whoever pay for the instance and verify that there is enough capacity
on the service (based on current traffic estimation), and if not, see
if we have budget for it.

I do not know how much we pay now and/or the traffic, but if we pay 100
US$ per month, the next step is 300 US$ per month (so a 2400 US$
increase in the budget). And if we are already at the 300 US$ step, the
next one is "call us":
 https://www.discourse.org/pricing

However, looking at
https://budget.fedoraproject.org/budget/fy19/council.html , it seems we