Re: license-tag purpose/goal (Was: Re: SPDX Statistics - R.U.R. edition)

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 5:57 PM Mark Wielaard <mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I have no attachment to RPM-style
> > > license tags, though Red Hat finds them marginally useful for some
> > > purposes.
> >
> > What are the purposes for which Red Hat finds the spec license tags
> > useful?
>
> I am still interested in this because I think it will help people
> understand why they are doing all this work.

I think there may be some confusion here. Red Hat originally developed
RPMs as a packaging technology and from what I understand, from an
early period there was a data field in spec files for licensing
information (IIRC it was originally "Copyright:" rather than
"License:"). Many other packaging technologies attempt to document
licensing information. Some are worse than others. When I say that Red
Hat finds spec file License tags useful for some things, this has
nothing to do with the adoption of SPDX license expressions in License
tags; the usefulness predates that recent development by many years.
That said, for those uses, the adoption of SPDX license expressions
makes the License tags significantly more useful because it is
associated with an improvement in the quality of the data. (This has
something to do with the nature of SPDX license expressions but it
also has to do with the process bringing about a wave of active review
of licensing information in Fedora packages.)

Also, to be clear, Fedora's adoption of SPDX identifiers is *not*
being done to help Red Hat, except to the extent that Red Hat is a
major sponsor of and contributor to Fedora.

That said, RPM License tags are sometimes used for these purposes at Red Hat:
(1) Naturally, people have always used them as a quick way of
assessing the license of a package (for example, as a highly flawed
method of answering the question "How many packages in Fedora/RHEL use
LGPLv3" and so forth). Of course this sort of use isn't specific to
Red Hat.
(2) Red Hat historically published so-called package manifests for
RHEL that were basically lists of RPMs with the content of the
License: field. Nowadays I think the equivalent is provided in SBOM
format.
(3) Some Red Hat partners and customers are interested in licensing
details at the level of the package and for RPM-based products or
portions of products the usual way of producing this information is to
provide the content of the License: field for each RPM.
I think that's it.

My view is that by switching to SPDX license expressions, along with
changes we've made to Fedora legal documentation, we are making major
improvements to the quality and sophistication of this kind of
information. But if I thought it was only something that would benefit
downstream product derivatives of Fedora I wouldn't support it.

This all makes it sound like I'm a fan of SPDX so I hope people
understand I'm not. Basically, SPDX is the worst license
representation system we have, but I begrudgingly accept that it's
better than all the others. I think my colleagues on the Fedora Legal
team *are* authentic fans of SPDX. :)

> I am slightly surprised Red Hat (and Fedora) finds the SPDX
> indetifiers as license tags/expression language useful. I thought that
> making sure the company/project always complies with, and makes sure
> that all users can easily comply with, the licenses by distributing
> the complete, corresponding source code and build scripts (in the
> srpm) is way simpler and effective.

We don't use the License: tags for purposes of license compliance, so
these two things are not in conflict. Red Hat indeed normally
approaches license compliance by providing the corresponding source
code, and this is also true of Fedora. The usefulness is for
non-compliance-related activities.

I think some of the confusion may relate to the fact that in the
industry, in open source-related contexts, "compliance" somehow came
to mean, as a colleague once put it, "making lists of stuff", which is
very puzzling. But anyway this has nothing to do with Red Hat, or
Fedora.

It's very legitimate to ask why we have License tags at all, but few
people have asked that. We didn't invent the practice in 2022; it
existed in some form for decades (or at least as far back as the early
years of Fedora, offhand I don't know if it originates in the Red Hat
Linux era). In adopting SPDX license expressions, as I see it, the
justification was basically, "if we're going to continue this
long-established practice of having License tags, we might as well use
the least bad license representation system".

But in saying all this I realize I am continuing to conflate the two
main uses of SPDX license expressions (or at least SPDX license
identifier conventions) in Fedora. We don't just use SPDX identifiers
in License tags. Our original 2022 documentation was really confusing
about this, probably because *we* were initially confused about it,
and I've tried to make a lot of changes to clear this up. We more
fundamentally use SPDX identifiers as a classification system in
approving and disapproving particular licenses, some of which would
never normally be used in a License tag. When we say a given license
is allowed, or not allowed, we have to define more or less precisely
what we mean by that license, and SPDX (for all its many faults)
provides the best system I know of for doing that.

Richard