Re: Server Side Public License, Version 1 (SSPL v1)

* Josh Boyer:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:36 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I think it's clear that the SSPL does not meet the Fedora licensing
>> requirements:
>
> Can you elaborate why?

>> | “If you make the functionality of the Program or a modified version
>> | available to third parties as a service, you must make the Service
>> | Source Code available via network download to everyone at no charge,
>> | under the terms of this License. Making the functionality of the
>> | Program or modified version available to third parties as a service
>> | includes, without limitation, enabling third parties to interact with
>> | the functionality of the Program or modified version remotely through
>> | a computer network, offering a service the value of which entirely or
>> | primarily derives from the value of the Program or modified version,
>> | or offering a service that accomplishes for users the primary purpose
>> | of the Software or modified version.
>> |
>> | “Service Source Code” means the Corresponding Source for the Program
>> | or the modified version, and the Corresponding Source for all programs
>> | that you use to make the Program or modified version available as a
>> | service, including, without limitation, management software, user
>> | interfaces, application program interfaces, automation software,
>> | monitoring software, backup software, storage software and hosting
>> | software, all such that a user could run an instance of the service
>> | using the Service Source Code you make available.”
>
> This section, right?  This could be interpreted as "you have to give
> us the source code for the compiler you used to build the software,
> under the SPPL license".  Is that an example of your concern?

Yes, because the System Library exemption for Corresponding Source does
not kick in due to the way the new terms are worded.  I think.  And we
cannot relicense the toolchain and kernel under the new license.

It's also the case that a default installation of the software is
non-compliant because the software itself does not provide a mechanism
to download its sources.  This wasn't so much a problem with the AGPL
version because the AGPL has generally been interpreted in such a way
that in this context, distribution of the Fedora-modified version by
Fedora was sufficient to comply with the AGPL requirement.

Thanks,
Florian