Re: Microsoft & OIN - ExFAT, subpixel font rendering (ClearType), etc. allowed now

Just to swing back on this thread:

While Microsoft joining OIN is a very good thing for Linux and FOSS, it
does not have any immediate impact to the packages (or configurations of
packages) which are currently acceptable or included in Fedora. Fedora
is hopeful that future revisions of the Linux Environment Components
lists [A] (that define the Linux System Definition covered by OIN) will
include newer (e.g. Freetype after 2.5.0) and additional components
(e.g. exfat FUSE userspace utilities, WMV codecs, EAS support) to enable
unencumbered use of open source implementations of Microsoft standards
and technologies. If/when those the Linux Environment Components list is
amended for new Tables, Fedora will revisit the acceptability of
packages (or configurations of packages) as a result. [B]

Additionally, I would personally love to see Microsoft take two
additional actions:

1. Adopt its own version of Red Hat's Patent Promise [C], specifically
such that it explicitly agrees not to enforce its patents against Free
and Open Source Software. This action would show a true commitment to
Open Source on Microsoft's part, beyond the limited (but useful) scope
of OIN.

2. Commit driver support for the exFAT filesystem directly into the
Linux kernel, with a corresponding patent grant. This would not only
close a long-standing compatibility limitation for external media use on
Linux, but it would provide a concrete example that Microsoft is an
active and ingenuous member of the FOSS community, outside of
open-sourcing its own previously proprietary efforts.

****

That said, I have no influence (nor direct connection) to Microsoft
(either personally or via my employer), so I'm mostly wishing into the
void. :)

~tom

[A] https://www.openinventionnetwork.com/joining-oin/linux-system/
[B] To be crystal clear, we do this already as new Tables are updated.
[C] https://www.redhat.com/en/about/patent-promise