Re: Microsoft & OIN - ExFAT, subpixel font rendering (ClearType), etc. allowed now

To err is human, right? :)

I would like to add a minor (but significant) set of clarifications here:

1. Table 8 of the OIN Linux Environment Components has three entries for freetype, one of which I missed on my first analysis. Those entries specify coverage for freetype versions 2.4.11, 2.4.9, and 2.6.3. Since version 2.6.3 contains support for subpixel font rendering, Microsoft's membership in OIN results in Fedora being able to enable that support in our freetype packages, effective immediately. I have already notified the Fedora freetype maintainer of this change.

2. The Linux Environment Components contains a specific exception for audio/video codecs, which are not covered by OIN even if a listed Environment Component enables it. There are some explicit exceptions to that exception, which you can see here: https://www.openinventionnetwork.com/joining-oin/linux-system/linux-system-table/?cat_id=2&type=table

WMA/WMV is not in that table. This means that even if a component was added to the Linux Environment Components list that had support for those formats, it would not result in Fedora being able to include support for those formats via that component. Of course, Microsoft, as a member of OIN, could add WMA/WMV to Table 0 (the permitted format list) in conjunction with inclusion of a component that enabled WMA/WMV support, but this is more complex and nuanced that the addition of other components that enable Microsoft standards and technologies.

TLDR: We _can_ enable full subpixel rendering in Fedora's freetype. WMV was probably a poor example to call out in an OIN context.

Thanks,

~tom