Re: Server Side Public License, Version 1 (SSPL v1)

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 09:01:57PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > | or the modified version, and the Corresponding Source for all programs
> > | that you use to make the Program or modified version available as a
> > | service, including, without limitation, management software, user
> > | interfaces, application program interfaces, automation software,
> > | monitoring software, backup software, storage software and hosting
> > | software, all such that a user could run an instance of the service
> > | using the Service Source Code you make available.”
>
> This section, right?  This could be interpreted as "you have to give
> us the source code for the compiler you used to build the software,
> under the SPPL license".  Is that an example of your concern?

Not to mention the corresponding source code to the local operating
system including the kernel and all device drivers; every executable,
library, and runtime runtime directly or indirectly executed; the
virtualization hypervisor and/or host operating system; system
BIOS/UEFI/device firmware; and arguably your entire SAN/network/backup
infrastructure and everything you use to manage/monitor *that* too.

Because all of that ("without limitation") is used "to make the program
available as a service."

It's one heck of a poison pill that makes the SSPL-licensed software
effectively impossible to utilize in order to provide a public-facing
service.  (At least without obtaining a commercial license..)

> http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2018-October/003603.html

There is a lot of good discussion here. Here's Florian's take:

 http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2018-October/003654.html

TL;DR: The [[un]intended] consequences are significant, and because the
goals behind the license aren't entirely clear, we don't know if those
consequences are bugs or a features.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^