Re: NTP license question

On Mon, 2018-07-02 at 11:06 -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:

> On 06/28/2018 01:47 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >
> > I believe the declaration of this license as GPL-compatible is
> > inconsistent with this:
> You're correct. The "RSA" license in that copy of pkcs11.h [1] is
> possibly GPL-incompatible. I'm going to remove the assertion from the
> Fedora licensing list that it is compatible and leave it as unclear.
>
> However, it looks like RSA handed pkcs11 over to OASIS in 2012, and
> OASIS released new versions of those headers in 2016.
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/pkcs11/pkcs11-base/v2.40/errata01/os/include/pkcs11-v2.40/
>
> Those headers are not under the RSA license, they're under a different
> license:
>
>   Distributed under the terms of the OASIS IPR Policy,
>   [http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr], AS-IS, WITHOUT
>   ANY IMPLIED OR EXPRESS WARRANTY; there is no warranty of
>   MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or NONINFRINGEMENT
>   of the rights of others.
>
> Which is clear as mud, but I believe this is the license:
>
>   Copyright © OASIS Open 2016. All Rights Reserved.
>
>   All capitalized terms in the following text have the meanings assigned
>   to them in the OASIS Intellectual Property Rights Policy (the "OASIS
>   IPR Policy"). The full Policy may be found at the OASIS website:
>   [http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr]
>
>   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
>   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
>   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published,
>   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any kind,
>   provided that the above copyright notice and this section are included
>   on all such copies and derivative works. However, this document itself
>   may not be modified in any way, including by removing the copyright
>   notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for the purpose of
>   developing any document or deliverable produced by an OASIS Technical
>   Committee (in which case the rules applicable to copyrights, as set
>   forth in the OASIS IPR Policy, must be followed) or as required to
>   translate it into languages other than English.
>
>   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
>   revoked by OASIS or its successors or assigns.
>
>   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
>   "AS IS" basis and OASIS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
>   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
>   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY OWNERSHIP RIGHTS OR ANY
>   IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>   PURPOSE. OASIS AND ITS MEMBERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
>   INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF ANY USE OF
>   THIS DOCUMENT OR ANY PART THEREOF.
>
> *****
>
> That OASIS license is non-free, because it has restrictions on
> modification. Which means that using these newer files is not an option.

> [...]

There is another implementation at e.g.
https://github.com/p11-glue/p11-kit/blob/master/common/pkcs11.h

I don't know how clean a reimplementation that is, from the copyright
point of view. It says:

/* This file is a modified implementation of the PKCS #11 standard by
   OASIS group.  It is mostly a drop-in replacement, with the
   following change: ...

I believe it came from libp11. It was introduced there in a commit
entitled "replace rsa header files with rewrite":
https://github.com/OpenSC/libp11/commit/af542d4bb621af2fe3ae6fdd20479ad04473e1bc

... which would tend to suggest that it was intended to be a cleanly-
licensed reimplementation.