Re: NTP license question

On 06/28/2018 05:53 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:

On 06/27/2018 01:09 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
Hi,

I'm reviewing OpenJDK and licensecheck pointed me at:

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/file/cf09f0b56efd/src/jdk.crypto.cryptoki/share/native/libj2pkcs11/pkcs11.h

to be NTP. Is "NTP" this license?
https://opensource.org/licenses/NTP

If that's the case, why isn't it listed in the "Good Licenses" list here?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#Good_Licenses

What's the license of the above file?

Teasing this apart:

1, The "NTP" license is just the MIT license, which is why we do not
have "NTP" in our Good License list.

2. That file (pkcs11) is not under the NTP variant of the MIT license.
It could be argued that it is a variant of the NTP variant of the MIT
license... but that road leads to madness, and since the SPDX model
frowns upon the ideas of variants... The wording is unique enough to
merit adding it as a new license for the list, so I have done so,
calling it "RSA".

So just swap "RSA" for NTP in that OpenJDK license list.

I believe the declaration of this license as GPL-compatible is inconsistent with this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ#What_about_the_RSA_license_on_their_MD5_implementation.3F_Isn.27t_that_GPL-incompatible.3F

The license text in the RFC is this:

“
License to copy and use this software is granted provided that it is identified as the "RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm" in all material mentioning or referencing this software or this function.

License is also granted to make and use derivative works provided that such works are identified as "derived from the RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm" in all material mentioning or referencing the derived work.

RSA Data Security, Inc. makes no representations concerning either the merchantability of this software or the suitability of this software for any particular purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind.

These notices must be retained in any copies of any part of this documentation and/or software.
”

In the header file, it reads:

“
License to copy and use this software is granted provided that it is identified as "RSA Security Inc. PKCS #11 Cryptographic Token Interface (Cryptoki)" in all material mentioning or referencing this software.

License is also granted to make and use derivative works provided that such works are identified as "derived from the RSA Security Inc. PKCS #11 Cryptographic Token Interface (Cryptoki)" in all material mentioning or referencing the derived work.

RSA Security Inc. makes no representations concerning either the merchantability of this software or the suitability of this software for any particular purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty of any kind.
RSA's waiver mentioned in the FAQ only applies to the MD implementations, not other code that has been published under this license.

Thanks,
Florian