Re: Switching to SPDX in license tags redux

On Tue 26 Jul 2016 10:44:24 AM CEST Haïkel wrote:

>> A way to deal with it could be to enance rpmdev-bumpspec that we use in mass
>> rebuilds.  or one of the other mass rebuild script, or for that matter if we
>> had a script that could do the conversion we could integare it into the mass
>> rebuild process. I am willing to make the changes needed to make it happen as
>> part of the next mass rebuild.  It would require someone to script the
>> conversion from what we have to SPDX. it would still take time to propagate
>> everywhere.   We would probably want to extend rpmlint and the review scripts
>> to throw a warning on it.
>>
>> Dennis
>
> I can volunteer for that, it's even a better plan than the one I suggested.
> I already wrote code to do the reverse conversion (from SPDX to Fedora
> short license tags)
>
> But that seems one of the easiest point to solve here.

So here's a question:
SPDX is *very* clear that when you say MIT you mean this one:
https://spdx.org/licenses/MIT

On the other hand when you see "MIT" in License tag in spec file it can
be any of these:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/MIT

So we can easily "pretend" we are matching SPDX license tags. But the
right thing would be to add all kinds of license variant identifiers -
one for each license text.

Otherwise we'll have packages with license text that does *not* exist in
SPDX but we're going to be pretending that's the text. Right now our
wiki is at least obviously ambiguous - it can be any of the variants.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Business System Analyst, PnT DevOps - Brno

PGP: 7B087241