Re: Switching to SPDX in license tags redux

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 01:31:58PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
>> I've been working on and off with SPDX to ensure that there is as
>> minimal as possible deviation between our two lists.
>>
>> If we did want to move forward with this, we'd need to figure out how to
>> resolve the inconsistencies with BSD/MIT between Fedora and SPDX.
>> Additionally, since pretty much every single package would need to be
>> touched for this change (as well as every package awaiting review), this
>> would not be a small effort, and I am _not_ volunteering to undertake it
>> alone, as I do not have the time.
>>
>> I tend be of the opinion that the work involved vastly outweighs the
>> benefit, but if others disagree (and are willing to volunteer their time
>> to work on this), I could be convinced.
>
> The main problem is exemplified by the BSD/MIT case, but it's not
> limited to that. We have a number of instances where a Fedora license
> tag refers to a set of things that are (usefully, I increasingly
> believe) treated as multiple licenses in the SPDX universe. BSD and
> MIT are just the extremes. I.e. it's not just a case of conceptually
> equivalent standards that just happen to use different tokens for
> things.
>
> Would it be possible to gradually evolve towards the SPDX system, say
> on a voluntary basis (by package maintainer), making use of the
> existing RPM license field? For example, say some Fedora package foo
> today has "License: LGPLv2+" and let's further say that the code is
> clearly licensed under LGPL version 2.1 or later. Could we move to a
> voluntary system where the foo package maintainer can opt to change
> that to "License: LGPLv2+ (SPDX: LGPL-2.1+)"? Or does that not even
> make sense?
>
> Richard

We can add custom tags, but we should probably do it progressively
with automated warnings as Vit suggested.
As for problematic conversions like BSD/MIT, we should just retrieve
the list of the packages and have them fixed manually by volunteers
after review.