Re: Switching to SPDX in license tags redux

Haïkel <hguemar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 3. execute the change (packagers + provenpackagers),

Honestly I feel this should instead be:

3. execute the change (people who want this)

Figuring out the proper tag could potentially involve a re-review of the
licensing of a large number of packages, to account for the situations
where there isn't simply a 1-to-1 mapping between our current tags and
this new setup.

There just isn't enough obvious benefit (to me, anyway, though I really
doubt I'm alone) to push this change through without a set of people
already lined up to do the work.

> As we have already standardized our licensing nomenclature, it would
> easily automatable (update git but not necessarily with rebuild).

If it's that easy, the script to convert everything should also be
provided by those who want this change.  Or at least a really simple set
of instructions between what we now have and what you would want us to
have.  I'd expect to see that document pretty much up front, before
anyone else sinks time into this.

Also, this gets us away from the current process of "ask fedora-legal if
you see some new license" to... something else, since we no longer
control the tags.  Someone needs to document the "something else", and
preferably set up some Fedora contact who will handle whatever
interaction is needed with whatever standards group is involved.

 - J<