Re: Usability issue, newly installed Fedora KDE plasma

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Well is this splintering of NVIDIA driver maintenance something that has
>> > some good reasons or is it simply something like technical purism?
>>
>> As it says on the link, there are some differences between the way the
>> two are packaged. However, one of the main reasons the negativo17
>> repository has been popularized as an alternative is because of the
>> new "third party repository policy" for Fedora, which allows editions
>> to ship disabled third-party repositories dedicated more or less to a
>> single package for easier auditing. The Workstation WG wanted to
>> enable installation of the nvidia driver from inside GNOME Software
>> directly, but the policy effectively prevents RPM Fusion as currently
>> constituted from being included: hence the use of the negativo17
>> repository as an alternative.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Third_Party_Repository_Policy
>
> Both those seem to say that licensing for third-party repos must still
> conform to Fedora standards, so I don't see how Negativo17 qualifies.

One of the requirements for non-free repositories is

"Users must be presented with clear information about Fedora
provided/Libre software vs Non-free/3rd party software. "

I'm not sure how to interpret that, but maybe a simple description of
what's going on and a license acceptance is enough?

Anyway I do feel a bit snubbed here, why do I have to jump through
all of these hoops to use an operating system of my choice, when
the card did cost  ~140 EUR / ~160 USD 4 years ago, and is an
investment.

Thanks to my experience with Linux I knew to try a different
version branch of NVIDIA's driver when I got problems with Steam.

If I knew this back then, I could've bought a graphics card from a
different vendor.

I've played the proprietary / lock-in game myself with web site
development, but made damn sure the customers could make
use of their investment for a long time.

-Morten

--
Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBlogologue
Twittering at http://twitter.com/blogologue